Wonderful Tenerife Logo
Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image Header image

Los Silos

The current town of Los Silos was founded on lands of the pre-Hispanic kingdom of Daute, shortly after the conquest, due to the wealth of the area.

The first settlement was started by people from Castile, Catalonia, Extremadura, Portugal and Genoa, plus people from the islands of El Hierro, La Gomera and Gran Canaria.

The name of Los Silos (silos) comes from the three grain deposits built by Portuguese Gonzalo Yanes or Gonzalianes. The name appears in records dating from 1509 and it tells us much of the area's main activity; farming, producing surpluses of cereals that were exported. Sugar cane was also grown here (there were several mills), as were grapes and silk from silk worms.

Initially, in the mid 16th century, there was a small church devoted to La Concepción on the estate of Gonzalo Yanes, but the local people decided to build a church devoted to Nuestra Señora de La Luz, probably because of problems with the land owner. This church was made into a parish church in 1605, with the approval of Bishop Francisco Martínez, separating from the Benefice of Buenavista.

The town has also had a Mayor since the 16th century, who was responsible to the Council of La Laguna. The mayor was appointed by the Island Magistrate.

The Bernardos convent was founded in the 17th century, thanks to Sebastián Pérez Enríquez and his wife, Luisa Francisca Montañés.

Votos(s): 1. Resultado: 5
Los Silos
Los Silos & Pico de Teide