Buenavista del Norte
Buenavista is one of the few towns in the Islands that has a foundational charter, granted by Lieutenant Governor of Tenerife, Cristtóbal Lebrón, and Magistrate Fernando de Llerena, at the request of the population, represented by Juan Méndez "The Old Man" and Juan de Mesa.
The oldest record of this village, which started out as a Council, is a public deed from August of 1516.
The name (Good View in Spanish) is due to the fact that the conquerors were amazed and delighted by the beauty of the lands they saw. As soon as the settlement of Tenerife started, in the early 16th century, this borough started taking shape, with the arrival of a considerable flow of people who came to settle here, attracted by existing landowners in the district, to grow sugar cane.
The area has also been visited by locusts, devastating everything in their path. For this reason, the local people got together with the Mayor, second lieutenant Hernando Yanes Méndez, to prey to the figure of La Virgen de los Remedios, begging her to rid them of the plague, which, according to history, is exactly what happened. Ever since, the figure of La Virgen has been worshipped by the local populace.
The borough soon acquired a parish church, devoted to Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, and eight smaller churches scattered over the extensive area. It also had a Franciscan convent, founded on the 8th of December, 1648, devoted to Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes, in houses donated by local citizen Pedro Hernández.
On the 9th of September, 1996, the town was granted the title of "Muy Honorable Villa" (Highly Honourable Town). The latest historic event occurred in Buenavista on the 22nd of June, 1996, when a terrible fire burned down the church of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios, destroying almost five centuries of cultural and spiritual heritage.