Güimar is one of the oldest towns in Tenerife. The conquerors could settle in the Menceyato (Kingdom) of Güimar, without any problems, thanks to a friendship pact reached between the first Governor and Mencey Añaterve the Good.
It would appear that foundaion of the town was due to Francisco de Vargas, who was granted the "Rio de Güimar".
The original settlement gradually appeared in San Juan, or Güimar de Arriba, near the water springs and the chapel of San Juan Bautista.
But, once Pedro de Alarcón acquired the rights to the area, the village started shifting toward the coast, with houses beginning to spring up around the parish church of San Pedro. The parish was created between the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th.
The town also had a Dominican convent, built in 1649, and many other churches. Do not forget that La Virgen de Candelaria appeared in the borough, and she was first worshipped here.