"According to records, Arafo appears with this name from the first records of Tenerife, at the beginning of the 16th century. So, on the 29th of November, 1504, Hernando de Fuentes is granted a quantity of land "in the district of Guymar in Arafo", which borders on the Añavingo ravine." But, even before the Spanish conquest, the natives occupied these beautiful lands. According to Viana, in his "Antigüedades", the name comes from a Guanche leader.
Colonists settled all over the area right from the beginning. Growth was not fast, maybe due to the distance from the coast. The population lived from farming.
Then, in 1796, elections took place for mayor, deputy, representative and inspector.
In 1812, it became a borough, although it would not have all the corresponding authority until 1836. It was granted the title "Villa" (town) in May 1983, being the first to be awarded this distinction under the Canary Island Regional Government.
It started to grow as a village in the areas known as El Asserradero and Perdomo, taking advantage of the waters of the Añavingo stream for irrigating the land.
Politically and religiously, it was part of Güimar and Candelaria until it was given the title of Parish in 1795.